Friday, April 29, 2016

Stressed out? Who? Me? HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHA

Hi y'all,

Okay, I'll admit. I have been absent for a quite a few weeks now. Probably more than a month??? Who knows. The days have blurred, my regular posting schedule dispersing like pollen in the wind*

*you can take the girl out of biology, but not biology out of the girl apparently....

So, what have I been doing this month?

a) Dying
b) Drowning in stress
c) Crying
d) All of the above


If you chose d, you would be correct. Turns out working 2 jobs, full time university, and balancing a social life is harder than it looks. Coupled with the last couple of weeks being stress central in terms of assignments, let's just say blogging wasn't high on my priority list. Doesn't mean I wasn't thinking about you though. Even through the tears, I  was remembering that I was really shit at blogging because the weeks were going by and I wasn't writing. Sure, I was listening to music, sure I had opinions - was I getting them on paper, though? No. Not at all. However, that's going to change today. I want to talk to you about the woman and the album that got me through this hellish journey through the valley of despair.

Grimes - Artangels


Honestly, album of the year. 

When I'm trying to get assignments down, I will usually listen to something to fill in background noise. I like repetitive beats that don't cause my brain to get too distracted trying to work out what I'm listening to, in truth, I'm usually listening to some sounds capes or music without lyrics as I generally have the attention span of a gnat and am prone to singing and dancing to songs I like. However, this is the first album I have been able to listen to from start to finish, still focus on my work, and actually sing and dance whilst feeling productive. There are some really poppy/boppy songs in this album like California, Flesh Without Blood, and Kill V. Maim -  all very popular songs and have gotten the recognition they deserve in the mainstream. However, what I have really genuinely loved about this album is the unique sounds that Grimes' collaborations with killer female artists like Taiwanese rapper Aristophanes, and American artist Janelle MonĂ¡e have created. You can see Grimes' roots in eclectic electro pop* coming through. There's surge of aggression in songs like SCREAM  and Venus Fly (with an almost warehouse-y underground sound) juxtaposed with songs like Life in a Vivid Dream which show depths of sadness and vulnerability, this entire album can take you jumping from emotion to emotion in minutes. I'm sure I spent like 79 hours listening to this album over and over again, in the hopes it would keep me from drowning and give me will to life. And it did. There are plenty of moments in the last month where hiding under my desk and crying seemed like a good option, but Artangels gave me the focus and the will to not die. So thanks Grimes, you always have and always will have a place in my heart that no artist ever will.


* also not a real genre, but hey, I like to get creative


Okay, so I can't give you the entire album to listen to for the same therapeutic relief, I'm going to share with you one of my favourites from the album.

REALiTi



REALiTi was not meant to be on the album, instead released as a demo track initially.  However, it was released on the deluxe version of the Artangels album that I own. The same song in the video isn't as polished as the final track that was released on the album, but use your imagination/go listen to the album version if you can. It's this hopeful pop beat and lyricism that kept me sane(ish). But it was so hard to just choose one song to show you guys, since I think the entire album is just the single greatest thing I've heard this month. It's definitely made it to my Top 5 Album list. Absolutely stunning, I'd 100000000000% recommend you all go out and listen to it in its entirety. You will not be disappointed. 

So, good luck to all of you out there are dying from stress. Remember, you are not alone, and please keep stress management your highest priority (even if it means not updating your blog for a month). Love you all!


xx Kristen




No comments:

Post a Comment