Thursday, November 19, 2015

Dreams and the pretense of study.

Yeah, it's mid-November. That time of year where students Australia-wide increase their caffeine intake and start questioning everything that they've ever done to get them to the stage that they are now. Personally, I've decided I should probably quit university and forgo my dreams of getting a degree. Instead, I'll open up my own cafe somewhere in a trendy spot in the city. I can picture it now. Exposed brick, and industrial counter tops. There will be tea cosies, and little cross-stitched signs with swear words on them. I want little cacti in teapots as center pieces on tables and a chalkboard feature wall. Something sweet and cute, but secretly punk rock.

I start designing my menu and picturing the little elements of my cafe coming together, including my potential regular customers and the conversations they would have in my cafe. At this point, I realise my exams start in approximately three days. Now, I'm not ready to let this dream to die yet, so I've started thinking about what sort of music that would be the ideal playlist to feature in my extremely trendy cafe, and then I found it, hidden within my "study" playlists (I say "study", but let's face it, I am not doing any), something emerged to the top and probably sounded exactly how I wanted my cafe to feel. Tuka's Like a Version cover of "Big Jet Plane."



There's something about Australian music that has a distinctive feel to it; it feels like long drives home and warm sun on your back. The kind of feeling that crunching through fallen Eucalyptus leaves and the smell of the ocean gives you. It feels like coming home. This song is the home I want my imaginary cafe to feel like.

Tuka 

We all know Tuka from the Thundamentals, an awesome Australian hip-hop group from just outside Sydney. Honestly, they have killed their Like a Versions in the past, so it's no surprise that this cover sounded so awesome. Tuka's smooth mixing of rap with Angus and Julia Stone's "Big Jet Plane" is something unto itself. After the other week's Allday disaster (I shan't mention it again, it's too painful), I am happy to say that Australia's hip hop game is still up there. Mixed so effortlessly with Thelma Plum's crooning vocals its gotta be one of my favourite Like a Versions of the year. I can picture it now, mid-morning  at my cafe with this song on the sound system. The smell of coffee beans, the clinking of cutlery on plates and the hum of voices as people enjoy their brunch with their loved ones.

Ah well. It'll be a dream I'll cherish long into the future. But for now, back to pretending to study.

Cheers folks!

Good luck with your studies (or lack there of)!

xx Kristen





No comments:

Post a Comment